Dates used: 1871 - 1886
Location of Fort: Chinook, MT
GPS N: 48-34
This Northwest Fur Company trading post was named for Secretary of War William Belknap. It was built on the south side of the Milk River by Abe Farwell in 1871 near the present town of Chinook. The name of the post was adopted by the government' Fort Belknap Indian Agency, established about 30 miles to the east.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Encyclopedia of Historic Forts
Return to Index Return to Montana Forts