Other Names: Fort William
Dates used: 1833 - 1849
Location of Fort: La Junta, CO
Occupied in 1833 and used until its destruction in 1849, Bent's Fort was the chief point of contact between the Indians and the Whites. It was at the crossroads of key overland routes and was a natural trading point. William Bent began work on the fort in 1828 using adobe construction because it was fireproof and there was little timber available for construction.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Encyclopedia of Historic Forts
Return to Index Return to Colorado Forts