Fort Bridger

               Maps                                                    Photos

Other Names: 

Dates used: 1843 - 1890

Location of Fort: Fort Bridger, WY

Use: Trading and later Military

GPS 

N:

W:

 

Established in 1843 by Jim Bridger and Luis Vasquez on the left bank of Black's Fork as a trading post on the Oregon Trail.  The Mormons captured and used it from 1853 and then they burned it in October 1857.  The post was rebuilt under the direction of Major William Hoffman with stone and logs to protect the Pony Express and Overland routes.  California and Nevada volunteers took over the post in 1862.

For more information see:

American Forts Network (internet)

Encyclopedia of Historic Forts

Forts of the West

http://wyoparks.state.wy.us/FBslide.htm  

                                                                      Return to Index                         Return to Wyoming Forts