Fort Cass

               Maps                                                    Photos

Other Names:  Tulloch's Fort

Dates used: 1832 - 1835

Location of Fort: Bighorn, MT

Use: Trading

GPS  N: 46-10.010

         W: 107-26.455

A trading post built by Samuel Tulloch for the American Fur Company in 1832.  It was named in honor of Lewis Cass of Michigan and was located on the south bank of the Yellowstone River about two miles east of Fort Manuel.  It was described as a 130 foot square fort built of cottonwood sapling pickets with two bastions at the extreme corners.

For more information see:

American Forts Network (internet)

Encyclopedia of Historic Forts

                                                                        Return to Index                         Return to Montana Forts