Other Names: Fort Standoff
Dates used: 1875 - 1880s
Location of Fort: Shelby, MT
GPS N: 48-22.
Fort Conrad was built by Charles Conrad for a Saint Lewis-Fort Benton firm on the south bank of the Marias River, 85 miles northwest of Fort Benton. It is now in the boundary of the Blackfoot Indian Reservation. The changing currents of the river washed it away after it was sold to James McDevitt.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Encyclopedia of Historic Forts
Return to Index Return to Montana Forts