Dates used: 1867 - 1882
Location of Fort: Douglas, WY
Established on July 19, 1867 at the point where the Bozeman Trail left the North Platte River and turned north. It was intended to protect emigrant routes in the area from the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians. The post buildings were sold on September 29, 1882 and military custody ceased on November 6, 1882 and the military reservation was transferred to the Interior Department in 1886.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Forts of the West
Return to Index Return to Wyoming Forts