Fort  Keogh

               Maps                                                    Photos

Other Names:  Cantonment on the Tongue River, New Post on the Yellowstone, Tongue River Barracks

Dates used: 1876 - 1924

Location of Fort: Miles City, MT

Use: Military

GPS  N: 46-22.916

         W: 105-53.003

Fort Keogh was first occupied on August 28, 1876 and was officially established on September 11, 1876 by Colonel Nelson A Miles.  It was rebuilt in 1877 about one mile west of the original location.  It served as an army post until 1900 when it became a remount station where horses were trained for army use until 1924.

For more information see:

American Forts Network (internet)

Encyclopedia of Historic Forts

Battles and Skirmishes of the Great Sioux War

Fighting Cheyennes

Forts of the West

Personal Recollections of Nelson A Miles

Yellowstone Command

                                                                        Return to Index                         Return to Montana Forts