Dates used: 1850 - 1860
Location of Fort: Culbertson, MT
Established in the spring of1859 by James Kipp for the American Fur Company to compete with Fort Stewart only 600 feet away. It was located on the Missouri River a few miles above the mouth of the Big Muddy River. The post was abandoned in 1860 and burned by the Indians.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Return to Index Return to Montana Forts