Other Names: Post at Missoula
Dates used: 1876 - 1918, 1921 - 1947
Location of Fort: Missoula
GPS N: 46-50.
Located on the right bank of the Bitterroot River at the mouth of Grant Creek, the post was established in response to the request of settlers in the valley as a result of moving the Salish Indians to a reseveration. The post was closed in 1915 and used for a mechanics school until 1918. It was reactivated in 1921 and used by the Immigration Service from 1941 to 1944 as an internment camp.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Encyclopedia of Historic Forts
Forts of the West
Indian Wars of the West
Return to Index Return to Montana Forts