Fort  Owen and

  St. Mary's Mission

               Maps                                                    Photos

Other Names: 

Dates used: 1850 - 1871

Location of Fort: Stevensville, MT

Use: Trading

GPS  N: 46-31.214

         W: 114-05.820

Established by John Owen in the Bitterroot Valley by purchasing some buildings from part of the complex of St. Mary's Mission established by Father De Smet and operated by Father Ravalli.  The trading post was closed when Owen's health failed him in 1871.

For more information see:

American Forts Network (internet)

Encyclopedia of Historic Forts

Custer's Luck

www.virtualmontana.com/montanadirectory/montanalistings/GC/montana3075.HTM

                                                                        Return to Index                         Return to Montana Forts