And Post Office
Dates used: 1874 - ??
Location of Fort: Lewistown, MT
Reed's Post Office (on original site)
GPS N: 47-03.506
Reed's Fort (on re-located site)
GPS N: 47-05.234
Named for Alfonzo S Reed who, with a partner named Bowles, purchased the Story and Holffman trading post in 1874 at Lewistown. The post consisted of two log cabins and were enclosed in a stockade about 100 by 150 feet. On the south end toward the river was a big gate and on the north side was a corral. One of the buildings was moved about 1 1/2 miles down Spring Creek and re-established as a very active trade center during the latter part of the 1870s.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Encyclopedia of Historic Forts
Return to Index Return to Montana Forts