Other Names: Camp Reynolds
Dates used: 1867 - 1891
Location of Fort: Fort Shaw, MT
GPS N: 47-30.
Established on June 30, 1867 on the right bank of the Sun River about 25 miles above its junction with the Missouri. It was to guard the travel routes between Fort Benton and the town of Helena. Fort Shaw was abandoned on July 21, 1891 and turned over to the Department of the Interior which operated it as an Indian school until 1910.
For more information see:
American Forts Network (internet)
Encyclopedia of Historic Forts
Forts of the West
March of the Montana Column
Return to Index Return to Montana Forts