Fort Stewart 2

               Maps                                                    Photos

Other Names: 

Dates used: 1861 - 1862

Location of Fort: Culbertson, MT

Use: Trading

GPS  N:

         W:

This Charles Lapenteur trading post was located several miles above the mouth of the Big Muddy River about 35 miles from Fort Union.  It was built using the chimney from Fort Steward 1.  It was sold to La Barge, Harkness and Company in 1862.

For more information see:

American Forts Network (internet)

Encyclopedia of Historic Forts

Forty Years a Fur Trader

 

                                                                        Return to Index                         Return to Montana Forts